Friday, June 1, 2007

Putong Ama Mo


Your father is a rice cake.

The above photograph is my favorite kind of puto. I tried Googling its name but I only ended up discovering that there are actually five methods of making this popular kakanin.

Last semester, Father Javellana mentioned in our Aesthetics II class the sad plight of the kakanin in the side streets of the Metro. Treats like puto, biko, kutsinta, sapin-sapin have been bypassed for the more odoriferous hamburger and (rather intimidating) foot-long sandwich.

I've seen several stalls in malls and in LRT/MRT/bus stations selling kakanin items. However, these places fall short to the nostalgia of seeing the manang hauling a basket on his/her shoulders, beckoning you to sample a piece of her humble heaven.

UPDATE: The above photo is the Putong Linutaw. Credits to my ka-Daupan, Eric and his mom!

No comments: